Fuel tank & systems

Subject: Fuel tank & systems
From: Paul McAllister <pma@obtero.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 17:43:00
Hi all,

I am currently working on the cockpit module and I need to turn my attention
to the fuel system soon.  Could some of you share your wisdom on the
following matters.

1.  How can I fit water drains into the system.  Do I put them in the bottom
of the tank, and if so, what type and how.

2.  I would like to use aluminum lines to the engine and to the bottom of
the sight gauge.  What
gauge of pipe has worked out best here ?.  What would the recommended
fittings be ?

3.  Has anyone had any problems with the rubber hose attachment and hose
clips on the fuel tank ?  Do you use any sealant here ?  Would a threaded
fitting into the tank be better ?

4.  The manual recommends filling the tank about a month before to ensure it
is fully expanded.  Is regular auto gas okay.  Is the alcohol additive
likely to be a problem ?

5.  I can't really assemble the wings into the cockpit module to check for
clearance because its too darn cold this time of year.  I was going to use
the dummy spars but I noticed that they aren't quite as thick as the actual
spars.  Is this likely to be a problem ?

Happy building & flying in 2000.

Regards,  Paul McAllister (363)