Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: Jacking up wheels

To: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-list@matronics.com>
Subject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: Jacking up wheels
From: Gary Leinberger <Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 16:02:54 +0000
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com designates 96.68.171.19 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com; dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=millersville.edu
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=reply-to:precedence:sender:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version :message-id:date:subject:to:from; bh=kPB6G83hR+ptZQCqhEWowh6vqxOcsJL6YSYlfplaJ6I=; fh=TtRabXnAZcz4NxrJRbsgVDdHYZRt+FpBYJp4xASTi6w=; b=wYA3X4RMqGQf59KLYJ2vr120bQIQdxtk90fpb7h03gJ1jsbpmpAEJuhiGVei1d8T/s PptJDP5jkhBl7/Bj+C65Nxjifzm6gB6ZCujgaIjTSy8stRPU5S095zUpYm8xIi7X8bRf meCkUhFIfm9Z5grkyh0npearAQK3GO+e0GYwYyz9DJzRqYBplepVCfLOLqVTbqBMZa5y QeF+1XrB0+U2qTmfpFBy6W8hxWB4xQ4DMlARWTuEoKLthDDbNWYnIukPWIwe9JdICTdR +gk+u51JWbA77VkBn0kUSLFv5EDALuS8/tumcloLbEKVujE3CKXeJR5XuKsytkvYjSU2 o82A==
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1698768355; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=WgHT3yCBwqveAb+Y3eDtL6+8f0Hb11drE3I7zAtfQSiS649sNtnsWz5dMUhap4ityJ cYmnQ+0ukbRBCT5MoZomM4tEX9yLH1owuGyZbxAnPCPOtLQ11qdWpY1J2GjqN3wdSgga 2OgFydpHLOucqVIIO9wR3LeAdHUDOWNRv6zks0ROyCnhYrzvYQ42f3hg1wHvwjAMk38z yL9V2xm6SpqU1r9IEIHj+GdGXcp5bUTlvOhKEuXH7SZ0VK+G579LLY5fEPQFFkkmN6W8 T74qkDSPeo3T7KQpVmBSZLwyIQAja0QL5Jeng/ZNRk2rYZHaq0x1AvC3Lsg4ZhEOB19P 5XWw==
Sender: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
--> Europa-List message posted by: Gary Leinberger
<Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>

I have a different approach - I use a snowmobile/motorcycle jack (without the
support bars) to lift the wing. Before I do so, I block the other two wheels on
both front and rear, so the plane doesn't pivot and I make sure the other wing
is clear underneath as it pivots down a good bit. I made a special box (one for
each side as the curvature is reversed from side to side) for the top of the
jack that fits the wing curvature and is padded to protect the skin. You also
need additional height to be able to lift the jack enough to lift the wheel off
the grown. The box centered on the spar.

This  has the following advantages: it is safer as the plane can move if lifted
by the jack only, which allows the landing gear to move inward and possibly
fall, you can jack up the wheel to check the tire pressure without rolling the
plane to get the fill value at the bottom of the wheel, it is easier to check
that the roller bearing races aren't rotating on the axle, and when working on
the brakes you have more head room (oh, my aching back). In addition, you don't
have to remove the cotter pin to jack the wheel up - always a pain to get out
and put in.

The jack was about $250 at Harbor Freight, and it has a locking mechanism to
ensure it won't fail if hydraulic pressure is lost.

If there is any interest, I can post pictures.

Gary Leinberger
Lancaster, Pa.
A237