Europa-List: Re: Making an Europa pretty

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Making an Europa pretty
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 07:08:42

Hi Bud, good and down to earth writeup. What you describe is what I have
experienced
and have settled for. Orange peel will be there in my airplane but as I
mentioned it doesn't look that bad. Just being picky. I think that the problem
with this task is that you build unrealistic expectations by reading postings
---From pros, then suffer if you can get perfect results. I learned my lesson
and
things are moving a tad quicker now.

BTW, I hate this nasty paint but I bought a new forced air respirator system and
use a full suit with a full hood. Works surprisingly well. I placed the turbine
in a box with an AC blowing at it and it keeps my head and suit cold inside.
It's nice.

I have settled for spraying a thinner coat and will probably not cut and buff
because
I don't want to run the risk of burning through the paint and having to
do it again (NO F WAY). The best finish so far is by applying thinner coats and
hoping it flows. But the difference between too dry and too wet is milliseconds
in speed. This morning I used my slower Iwata and I think it is a little
better. Regarding Florida heat, I am waking up at 5:30 to spray. Temp around 75F
but yes, the booth will heat up when it is curing during the day. I am using
a little retarder which helps. I could place the AC unit in the booth and turn
it on when finished spraying.

BTW, I sprayed the access covers on the plane with 24 year old PPG Durathane
with
a crappy gun and it went on like a mirror. So old paints were sure much easier
to spray than todays.

So I leave you with a couple of pictures of my spray this morning. Not bad. But
I have noticed that it looks better after spray and then gets a little more
orange
peely with the day heat. I'll work on getting my window AC unit installed
in the booth later today to try.

One day I will have my pretty Europa flying again, for good.
Chris

Read this topic online here: