Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz
From: D McFadyean <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 19:12:20

The TruTrak will fly a track slaved from a 296. But it won't fly routes very
well,
because the turns will be overshot. Eventually it will get back on to the
track of the selected route, by which time airspace may have been bust!
The older Skymap referred to in the OP should also work with the TruTrak and has
pre-emptive steering (i.e. it has an algorithm that anticipates the turn to
better maintain a route, on the later Bendix Kings this was adjustable in the
settings) so should be better suited to following a route.
I found that other non-aviation Garmin GPSs (e.g. eTrex) also worked for basic
guidance, so long as it had the NMEA output.

Duncan McF.

> On 08 November 2022 at 16:28 Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 2022-11-08, at 09:06, Dpc <dpc@knightonweb.com> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately my Mac is an older one that doesnt have the M1/2 chip and I
> > dont
have a PC, but youre right that this would work for file transfer.

> > When you use your GPSmap 296 to fly a route with the Trutrak, can you easily
override or cancel that route and choose a different track, but yet continue
to use the 296 to provide GPS location/track info to the Trutrak? Reprogramming
the 296 in flight with a temporary new track, would seem fiddly compared to
just punching in a new track number to the Trutrak box?

> David - as I said, my aircraft is not yet flying so I cant answer that
> properly,
but I think your assumption is probably right. I have flown pre-programmed
tracks with the Garmin GPSmap296 in C150s etc (but obviously not coupled to an
autopilot!). I try not to fiddle with tracks on the GPS in the air but revert
to the chart if I have to divert from the plan.

> Ive had another thought - I think you should be able to save a SkyDemon GPX
> file
to iCloud on the iPad (Files app) and then pull it off iCloud onto your Mac
for transfer. Still need the USB-serial cable and LoadMyTracks.