RE: Europa-List: Re: Propeller Sizing

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Propeller Sizing
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 17:36:37
David, Tim and group.
Sorry for the slow response.  Anita and I are recovering from our flu/covid
/omicron/delta =93breakthrough=94 cases.  So, just a case of the flu for us
 and simple over the counter medication keeps the symptoms in check.  Not w
orth standing in line with the masses of travelers, government contract wor
kers and New Yorkers down here worried about their job or getting the Covid
 from us Floridians.  (Anita and I believe we had Covid at New Years 2020 l
ike many did in our area (there was no testing for antibodies available the
n), but we got the Covid shots =93vaccine=94 and we still got the flu/omicr
on of course.)  Neither of us is normally affected much by the flu variatio
ns over the years other than just feeling under the weather for a few days,
 so we are lucky.

For a Mono and conventional gear aircraft, ground clearance is 9 and a trig
ear is 7 inch clearance at full impact clearance.  Duh.  I should have been
 more exact.  The actual certified standard for aircraft is uniform across
the world at these values.  Of course, regulations change so check in your
country.  Here are the US/International certified basic requirement guideli
nes.
Sec. 23.925 =97 Propeller clearance.
(a) Ground clearance. There must be a clearance of at least seven inches (f
or each airplane with nose wheel landing gear) or nine inches (for each air
plane with tail wheel landing gear) between each propeller and the ground w
ith the landing gear statically deflected and in the level, normal takeoff,
 or taxing attitude, whichever is most critical. In addition, for each airp
lane with conventional landing gear struts using fluid or mechanical means
for absorbing landing shocks, there must be positive clearance between the
propeller and the ground in the level takeoff attitude with the critical ti
re completely deflated and the corresponding landing gear strut bottomed. P
ositive clearance for airplanes using leaf spring struts is shown with a de
flection corresponding to 1.5 g.

The Woodcomp guys just used the original certified testing standard which A
irmaster met to assure they were in compliance with the LAA.

To be honest, I only got involved with the prop ground clearance when Bob B
erube made his conventional conversion years ago.  The gear height was base
d on the 64 inch propeller with a minimum of 9 inches.

Story Time.
The gear length was set by Grove aircraft for the single beam gear and plac
ed to give 9 inches.  Since it was a non articulated fixed beam gear leg, G
rove was sure to meet the criteria required by the FAA.
If I recall correctly, the plane was loaded IAW the FAA manual to full gros
s weight and a three foot drop test was made to determine gear flexing, str
ucture, and alignment.  The Grove gear slid sideways a little off the cente
rline of the mounts and pins were fitted as standard to prevent recurrence.
  Bending of the gear at the belly of the aircraft was only enough to just
touch the belly skin at the center. That was scary but I had seen it before
.

In college we went to MacDonald Douglas Aircraft and helped drop test the F
-4E with the USAF gear upgrades (different tires and wheels, some changes t
o the struts)   I was a dumb freshman data taker.  The plane was dropped 7
feet (USAF Test) on to a treadmill doing 150 mph.  That was exciting, scary
 and very noisy.  That test was repeated many times over the week for fatig
ue testing.  Mr. Mac was instant that the plane exceeded the testing design
 requirements.  Later the factory just spun the wheels up to speed for the
drop tests on the F-15 and 18 aircraft. Still a heck of a test. Navy requir
ements differ from Air Force for obvious reasons.

Have a Happy New Year
Bud and Anita Yerly