Europa-List: Re: Oil temperature issue during climb

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Oil temperature issue during climb
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 16:19:49

Marcel, unfortunatedly I couldn't find a good picture of the baffling on the
radiators
and the difusers. The oil cooler has two baffles on the sides (that I
do show a picture of) and one on the bottom that is flexible to bend and provide
seal pressure against the cowling bottom. If I remember to take pictures of
the existing baffles when the lower cowling is off I will.

You can also see that the sides of the water cooler have been filled with
firewall
material and black RTV. The black RTB is bonded to the firewall material but
not the duct for easy removal.

An important one is at the bottom of the water cooler and butts against the oil
cooler front. Sealing that large gap between the two. So the high pressure in
front of the coolers forces air through the lower part of the oil cooler and
the entire water cooler. Since the oil cooler is not sealed at the top, all the
air coming out of the water cooler has a low pressure area to exit unrestricted.
This eliminates the flow over the upper part of the oil cooler but that is
OK in my installation as the oil seems to remain cooler than the coolant. You
could reverse it (put in in the upper edge of the oil cooler and butt against
the rear of the water cooler). This would force more air through the oil cooler
and less through the water one.

This may not apply to your case but it works for me as my oil stays cool.

Chris

Read this topic online here:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/chris_duct_2_210.jpg