Europa-List: Re: Oil temperature issue during climb

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Oil temperature issue during climb
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:29:52

The engine in my mono is the 912uls so could be different but it runs very cool
even in the Florida heat. I was concerned given reports of cooling issues in
the Europa but I can attest the system works very well. In fact, my engine tends
to run too cool. What I did based on Buds guidance:

1.- Absolutely seal the duct to cowling edges and all areas around the coolers
to ensure air will only go through the coolers.
2.- The sides of the coolers are sealed as Bud described using aluminum baffles.

3.- I have a baffle at the bottom of the water cooler that seals against the oil
cooler front face forcing all air through the water cooler and the bottom of
the oil cooler which is lowered as far as possible. This does limit the flow
through the upper part of the oil cooler but provides more pressure differential
area to the water one. Works well in my case. But key is to ensure no pressure
differential is lost.
4.- I was very picky about creating nice air flow diffusers at the duct inlet.
Both top and bottom. Not the sides which are just sealed with baffling seals
against
the cowling. The upper diffuser and duct sides are tightly sealed against
the cowl to prevent any air spilling out.
5.- I made a completely different firewall design than the one Europa calls for
based on Buds guidance. I am super happy with it as it provides a lot of space
behind the engine and provides a larger and smoother air exit. It was very easy
to make and install. Dunno why Europa doesnt just do it this way. I am sure
this is really helping overall air flow through the engine compartment.
6.- Cowling is stock. No modifications except the inlet diffusers. I never
opened
the gills but the starboard naca scoop is open.

As Bud said and I learned the hard way too, always check sensors first!

Chris

Read this topic online here: