Re: Europa-List: N11EU Update

Subject: Re: Europa-List: N11EU Update
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:36:02

Pic link is broken btw.  Nit on fb tho ;)

> On Aug 27, 2021, at 11:25 AM, n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> Just sending a note to test the forum (and take the opportunity to share my
> new
Europa experience). I have not seen an update in the Europa forum for a while
but apparently it is fixed.

> On the Europa side of things, N11EU is doing great and I now have about 70 hrs
(have never flown any airplane I have owned so much in such little time). Still
not painted but flying great. I have installed NACA vents that work fantastic
and a Kroger Sunshade. The NACA scoops were designed using strict design
guidelines
and I have to say it's a hurricane in the cockpit and I only have one
vent installed! (planning on installing a second one). I still don't have
carpets.

> I installed a uAvionix AV-30 when the bozo that did the transponder check blew
all my pitot-static instruments and it has been the joy of my panel. Neat
instrument.

> I am now spending a lot of time designing proper cushions (again, reading a
> lot
of studies about proper car seat design and have made some interesting
discoveries).
It seems I will end up with an acceptable design considering the serious
challenges of how to make cushions for the Europa. I will share the design
and knowledge learned if anyone is interested.

> The airplane is doing great with the DUC prop and I am very happy with it.
> This
is summer in Florida, and despite the heat, I can see 1000 fpm climbs while
still cruise at 135 knots at 5200 RPM. However, at 4800 - 4900 RPM the engine
is incredibly smooth (why?) so I am spending more time at that regime seeing
around 125 to 130 knots cruise while enjoying a relaxing ride.

> I have to report that I have become much more proficient at landing my mono
> although
this is not the windy season here so haven't really tested my skills in
gusty or stiff crosswind conditions.  But now I have learned the technique to
grease almost every landing and actually enjoy them (no more anxiety). The
picture
attached shows me landing at my home airport. A bit nose high but have
found this technique to work well consistently.

> I have been flying some nice x-countries to places around 120ish miles away or
so and it's a lot of fun. I have taken some passengers up including my wife,
kids and a friend one time. Boy you can feel the extra weight!

> Well, that is about it. I will continue small improvements as I am planning to
work on the speed fairings next. Don't expect a much of a gain but let see.
Heck, if I can get 5 knots more I will be very happy.