RE: Europa-List: Question for United States friends regarding E10 fuel

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Question for United States friends regarding E10 fuel
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:36:39

Jonathan,
Most of the US is still 5% ethanol but the pump says up to 10%.  In testing here
in Florida, the actual ethanol seems to be between 5-10% as advertised.

I've found that as long as the fuel is used soon (within a couple weeks) it is
fine with no detonation.  The problem comes in with water absorption and loss
of octane when in storage or non-use.
I have a couple customers that use MoGas (highest octane available) in their 912
and 912S without failure or deterioration they are aware of.   They just dont
trust the fuel beyond three weeks.  Pump out the old fuel into the car and put
in fresh fuel in the plane before you go flying.

With no antiknock sensors in the Rotax, one has to be careful in the 912S.  The
912 doesn't mind what it runs.
No vapor lock reported.  If the plane is hot, there have been reports of poor
starting.
The remedy is run the fuel pump a little longer to flush fresh fuel
into the lines and any vapor bubbles out and starts are normal.  Cold weather
starts are always better with AvGas.

My article on my website is still accurate and many other writers on-line and in
magazines agree that it is safe to use the highest octanes if fresh.  I do see
deterioration in the Redux used in the fuel boss course screens when using
ethanol laced fuel, over time, but it isn't bad.  My old Piersburg fuel pumps
got brittle, but they were old so no long term testing was done to see if it was
just age or the fuel.
Fuel hoses that are lined (R-7 or better aka vapor barrier hose) control the
stinky
gas and hold up for years.  Tank material is not an issue.

Watch your float bowls for corrosion if you insist on leaving the bowls full of
old MoGas.  Use a fuel system stabilizer for storage, but better yet, drain the
carbs and fuel pumps.  The Rotax O rings seem to hold up well in the carbs,
but down at Lockwood Kerry has seen some crumbling O rings in those plane that
get little use (old gas) or any preemptive maintenance.

See my website, and the many articles on-line that give the pros and cons of
course.

Since I keep my aircraft at an airport, I use AvGas in my 914.  I ran fresh 93
octane (R+M/2 method over here) in it one time to see how it ran, and it was OK
for that test hop which ran from sea level to 10K at max continuous power then
cruised and it seemed to run well.  I researched octane and its rating system,
and the general consensus is octane ratings are fairly conservative.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly