Re: Europa-List: Jacking Mono

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Jacking Mono
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:29:46
Peter,  Lifting the plane via an engine hoist is a good solution if you
have one! Otherwise you can lift a Europa via its wings although you
need to be extremely careful that the load is well spread. Dealing with
a puncture on a trigear is relatively easy by getting someone to lift
the wing on the punctured side and putting a well padded trestle under
that wing to keep the punctured wheel off the ground. this technique
could be doubled up to get a mono off the ground, but there are better
methods. I would recommend making a jacking block as in the picture the
two sawn off coach bolts fit into two equivalent holes drilled in the
U/C arm and that gives a firm horizontal surface for putting any
conventional jack under. This was the only solution available when my
friend suffered a puncture on one of the Arran Islands. It is also worth
considering building a dolly, which makes all maintenance tasks very
much easier. Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ