RE: Europa-List: Re: where to put OAT sensor?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: where to put OAT sensor?
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 02:46:54

Trevor,

My opinion is don't install it on the cowl itself as it is just another thing to
slow down cowl removal.  Keep it out of direct sunlight if you can.
As for the wheel well:
In the event of a tire failure or God Forbid a gear up landing, damage is done
in the well.
I tend to stay away from directly behind the XS cowl exit.  Just avoiding the
cowl
exit air.
The wheel well is a nasty hole for dirt and debris.  In my opinion it will be
slightly
warmer than true outside air. (Disclaimer: I have no experience with the
actual temperatures in the wheel well.)

I've assisted clients in putting the OAT in several places.
1.  My favorite is the inlet for the turbo duct.  Radiator duct is a little too
warm unless right up front.
        The inlet duct for the Turbo on the 914 metal shelf isn't bad.  (Use
caution and
note on the ground it gets pretty warm.  Works fine in flight provided it is
on the outer most part of the duct and suspended in the stream.)
        I have 12AY's OAT in the 914 inlet suspended on a short bolt/spacer
held by an
Adel Clamp from the metal air dam.  Works fine.  (GRT and Blue Mtn.)

2.  912S located in the inlet attached to the airbox.  (GRT)  (Always make sure
you mount it for an easy airbox removal or engine removal to facilitate
maintenance.)

3.  Cockpit inlet ducts of course if there is room as folks have said.  Nice and
close to the panel normally, so a short run.  Dependent on inlet design.  (Both
Dynon's)

4.  In the starboard wing root back before the flap tube just forward of the
flap
and behind the aft socket was popular for a while.  We mounted it carefully
to allow for the aux tank.  (Dynon and GRT)
5.  In the closeout for the Stabilator.  (Caution not to impact the stab of
course.)
(Dynon)

6.  Stuck out in the slipstream under the starboard seat was expedient for one
client who insisted on it in the cockpit.  He only had NACA inlets to the
cockpit.
Hard to wash the belly without hitting it though. (Dynon)
7.  One guy has a ventilation tube plumbed from a NACA in the fin and piped into
the overhead.  He had his in the tube there just as the NACA entered the fin.
(GRT)
8.  Another was in the area below the starboard baggage bay inside but just aft
of the flap tube where I didn't think it would work well, but air came in the
flap slot and it actually worked OK.  (GRT)

It is an experimental.  If it doesn't work, plug the hole and move it.  The only
way to tell is take separate temperatures.  Use a handheld thermometer when
in flight placed in your cockpit inlet to check your OAT placement for accuracy.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly