RE: Europa-List: SnF

Subject: RE: Europa-List: SnF
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 22:38:03

Anita and I will be there.

Watch the weather up North.  It's nice down here but you have to get here from
there.

Heck getting 12AY the 5 miles from Plant City Airport to Lakeland may have to be
by road.
My freshly top overhauled engine is leaking oil from the turbo components like
rain.  I'm throwing time and parts at that now.  The last oil leak is at the oil
catch can area under the turbo (which is wet between the split also) and believe
it or not, my hose from the turbo outlet to the manifold is full of oil
and leaking.  What a mess.  Hopefully, I can troubleshoot that and find a less
costly fix than I fear the symptoms are leading to.  On top of that, although
all went extremely well during high power flight test climbs, stalls, cruise
and engine data checks I did some touch and goes and after a short/soft field
full stop landing, I was feeling good on taxi back then I find the voltage down
to 12 and the amps at -2 at idle power.  It never does that.  It is always 13
minimum and slightly positive.  I ran it up to 2500 and the voltage rose a bit
as did the amps indicating there is some life there. Then I saw a small pool
of oil under the turbo. Either the voltage regulator has failed (I just put
that on in 2007) or my stator has died (I repaired that in 2006).  Frankly a 14
year old part on a 20 year old engine should last forever don't you think?
Except it is an airplane of course.  So back to the airport in the morning to
pull the cowl, test the stator, replace the regulator, and find the oil leak and
hopefully fix it for sure.   Backup plan is load the plane on the trailer and
haul it as time is growing short.  Life is an adventure, and I'm up for it.

Bud and Anita Yerly

Custom Flight Creations, Inc.
US Airmaster Dealer
Europa N12AY at S'nF site N55.