Europa-List: Acceptable prop strike damage?

Subject: Europa-List: Acceptable prop strike damage?
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 12:49:35

Getting straight to the point, is there a "rule of thumb" for how much damage a
propeller can sustain before a shock load engine strip-down is necessary? I
suspect
that the decision lies with the engineer making the assessment.

Today a friend was flying his tail wheel RV6 in a strong crosswind on a tarred
runway and while landing he was dumped by a gust while attempting to go around,
perhaps over-rotated when pushing the stick forward and heard a sound like
kerbing
a car's wheels, as he described it. He didn't really feel a vibration,
nor did he hear the engine note change. So it was a fleeting "brrrrt" on the tar
and following the go around pattern flown, a later inspection showing no
evidence
on the runway surface.

The engine is an IO320 (I think), the propeller is fixed pitch metal and last 3
to 4 inches of the tips are now curled forward through a full 90 degrees. My
instinct is that a shock load engine strip-down isn't necessary in the
circumstances,
but what do I know? Very little indeed, apart from a slight recollection
that damage like minor nicks in prop leading edges can be dressed out provided
that they're not along the 1/3 nearest the hub.

I look forward to your replies, thanks.

Read this topic online here: