Europa-List: Re: 914 Servo Problem -- broken copper wiper -- is there

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 914 Servo Problem -- broken copper wiper -- is there
From: rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 18:32:16

Hi PCahill Now that I have seen the unit and heard from Bud a few ideas:
Ask Bud if he still has his old unit that may have a good set of brushes on gear
and buy it from him and put on your unit? Note: There may be different
variations
of servo, I have no ideas what the differences are. Perhaps the gear/brushes
is the same?
Measure the thickness of copper on brush, procure same or similar from McMaster
or other:
https://www.mcmaster.com/copper-sheets
Cut off a good portion of remaining leg on broken brush and form the end to look
exactly like other brushes, then solder splice a piece of copper splint.
I would probably do the percussive maintenance trick on solder job. Take some of
the thinnest solder you can find, then pound it into a thin sheet and cut to
precise size of splint. Put some flux on both sides after cleaning copper
immaculate
and make a few clamps to hold it in position. Use some thin SS welding
rod if you have it, if not bend up some paper clips. Start with a modified Omega
shape. Thy different sizes of clamp also different thickness paper clips or
welding rod. If you have a problem getting heat in there or getting your
soldering
iron in position, use flame from cigarette lighter. I would wrap neighboring
brushes with a piece of aluminium foil to keep heat off them. we don't know
what sort of temper they may have.
You ultimately want about the same pressure on brush as others. Since you are
splicing
and may not be using the exact same copper, you will probably end up a
bit stiffer? If that happens you can probably do like Shunts do. Start making
the width a little bit narrower at a time till pressure is the same.
If you need more tension, beat a piece3 of copper thinner, cut to size and
splint.
Look very careful at other brushes for any cracks. Any defects smooth out.
Look very very carefully at the broken pieces and see if there is a defect that
caused a stress riser. If there is, perhaps contact Rotax and see if they can
be of assistance.
Ron P.

Read this topic online here: