Europa-List: Re: 914 Servo Problem -- broken copper wiper -- is there

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 914 Servo Problem -- broken copper wiper -- is there
From: rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 17:01:35

Hi PCahill Your picture didn't come through. I took a look and page 50 and 51
of Heavy Maintenance 76-00-00 https://www.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/d05014.pdf
gives value of potentiometer you need to know.
I would call Rotax Center and see if they can get parts, if not can they rebuild
it for you?
Perhaps you can locate a good used one? I did a quick search and found:
https://www.ebay.com/p/10008622325
I don't know what the thing looks like, but you know the values from the manual,
perhaps you can buy the part? Look at big 4? Mouser, Allied, Newary and
Digi-key.
Since you know the values, perhaps you can rig up an external potentiometer.
Perhaps
you could drive off cable if it has correct throw? If not turn a barrel
the precise diameter and drive a cable? Or make a servo arm the precise length?
I ran into a problem with my cowl flap. The Actonix linear servo had an
internal potentiometer. I purchased their display that has a severe design flaw
and after 2 attempts burned up internal wiring to potentiometer. I ended up
installing a Ray Allen external potentiometer to one of their displays. Works
great: http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/indsens.html they call it a
position sensor. This is to give you an idea to use an external position sensor.
I took Buds advise and have the cable tail of my Servo follow on into a piece of
plastic tube:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah1S270Nwg9V3UQweNiOl3_VYcum
If you could match the required values using a long tail to drive position
sensor,
could be very nice. You could probably trim values a little with resistors.
If not lucky, obtaining a sensor with correct values and making a barrel with
precise diameter needed to drive a cable would probably be my second choice.
Here's a pic of install of external sensor on my cowl flap:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah1S270Nwg9V3HM-hjioId6wjy9L
sensor on left side. I needed to position the pin a precise distance from flap
pivot. Works great (on ground thus far). BTW the cowl flap closes 100% and opens
with trail edge hanging down in airstream about same angle as my old 1948 Cessna
170 had  aft side of cowl hanging in breeze:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah1S270Nwg9V2HOfKEwvGS64xgPO
 Ron P.

Read this topic online here: