Re: Europa-List: Re: Side-slipping the Europa?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Side-slipping the Europa?
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:02:56
Ron and Clive, Bud has as ever given excellent answers, but perhaps I
can add a bit. Firstly I would always side slip with Right rudder in a
Europa as you then have excellent view ahead assuming you are in the
Left hand seat, whereas left rudder slips restrict your view
considerably. I find full right rudder side slipping at 60 kts very
stable, easy to control and easy to straighten and it will produce
1000fpm descent instead of the 550 fpm in a straight 60kt idling
approach. I personally deliberately approach high on a PFL and then burn
off the extra height by sideslipping to allow for the possibility that
you have hit a strong wind gradient and dropped well below your original
aiming point. - how often do you find yourself having to put in a burst
of power at around 200ft if you are aiming to touch down on the piano
keys?

Wouldn't it be great to be able to get our planes out and go flying?

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ