Europa-List: Re: Fuel stabilising

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel stabilising
From: PCahill <cahillpa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 15:51:01

I add 2 grams of BHT (food grade butylated hydroxytoluene) anti-oxidant per 5
gallons
ethanol-free mogas anytime I don't immediately use the fuel.

BHT is readily available on eBay (much cheaper than Sta-bil and possibly the
same
stuff, but without all the petroleum distillates that I don't want).  BHT
dissolves
instantly in mogas.

This is about 2 grams per 2700 gm of fuel, or 0.07%, or about 0.7 ppt.  Not very
much!  Possibly not even enough anti-oxidant for all applications.  My goal
is to mitigate the formation of gums or gummy deposits in the carbs.

Many years ago I used small amounts of BHT for the same purpose in a
hydrocarbon-based
rocket fuel for the US Air Force.

stevenwpitt@me.com wrote:
> I know it may be a bit late this season but what do owners use to stabilise
> their
fuel during the winter?
> I know of Sta-bil in the USA for motor vehicles but not sure what to use on my
Rotax 912S here in the UK.
> Thanks in anticipation.
> Steve Pitt
> G-SMDH