Europa-List: Re: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 08:30:34

As I approach the point were the first flight of my Europa will happen I really
appreciate the information you posted in your last message.

Unfortunately for me my taildragger (a Kolb Firestar) is not a three point
landing
aircraft since in the ground it's attitude is well beyond the stall point
(and the high drag to low weight ratio of the plane killing the speed in a
second).
Trying to three point my Kolb always results in very hard landings.

When I got my endorsement I was trained by a CFI that absolutedly hated two
point
landings (he flew Pitts and discouraged landing that airplane two point).
When I used to fly gliders it was very common and a joy to plant the tail first
in the ground before the main touched. But this was so because there was such
a good margin between the attitude that allowed the tailwheel to be lower than
the main before the airplane stalled. I was hoping for that to be the case
for the Europa but per your posting I guess that may not be the case although
I have to say I have seen pictures of Europas landing with a significant tail
low attitude on short final. I guess that is as you refer to some people coming
in slow on approach but I can see why that would not be the ideal case on a
first flight. Well, I'm getting ahead of myself since not quite ready to fly
yet.
Good posting though. I will for sure talk to you when the time comes.

I include a picture of my plane when I took it out for some engine running and
taxi test this weekend. I'm so happy its getting there!

Chris

Read this topic online here:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/210119_chrism_europa_186.jpg