Re: Europa-List: Possible Leaking Fuel Tank!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Possible Leaking Fuel Tank!
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 19:11:25
James,

I am quite familiar with the problem.  I replaced my fuel tank back in
2014.

You can read about it and view pictures of the work at:
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=60232&g2_page=3
<http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=60232&g2_page=3>

Click on the preview picture =9CFuel Tank Replacement.=9D

Bud Yerly has a document outlining the replacement of the fuel tank on
his website: customflightcreations.com
<http://customflightcreations.com/>
It is under the =9CTechniques Articles and Build Information=9D
 subject.

There are probably a number of others who have gone through this
situation and can also provide helpful information.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules
Prop.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

> On Dec 14, 2020, at 6:52 PM, Mallard <james@kingdom.ie> wrote:
>

> Dear All, Urgent help required. Today I discovered about half a litre
of fuel pooled in the baggage footwell behind the pilot=C3=A2=C2=C2=99s
 seat which had wicked up to the carpeting. The fuel is exiting the
aircraft where some bolts pass through the fuselage.

> The fuel cock was not in the =C3=A2=C2=C2=9COff=C3=A2=C2=C2=9D
position so I turned it off. I removed the port inspection cover in the
baggage area to see if any of the fuel hoses showed any obvious signs of
leaking. There was some fuel on the floor of the inspection hatch but
not signs of fuel leaking.  I then mopped up the fuel in the baggage
footwell and observed that fuel appeared to still be leaking into the
area and coming from the base of the fuel tank.

> It may be that the main fuel tank is leaking and may require
replacement.

> Has anyone got experience of this problem and how was it solved?
>
> Thankyou very much in advance for any & all advice.
> James
>
> --------
> Seat of my pants
>

> Read this topic online here: