Europa-List: Re: 912ULS Airbox Water Intrusion

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 912ULS Airbox Water Intrusion
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 02:59:07

When my aircraft used to have the Classic cowls with NACA air duct, before I
fitted
the Nev Eyre cowls without such inlet, I always took the canopy and forward
fuselage cover with me if expecting to park outside somewhere. Each year one
of my friends took the aircraft away for a fortnight and left it outside in
the Scottish rain, which can often last for days. Seemingly the cover prevented
water from entering the NACA duct and airbox, possibly because I washed the
cover in a solution designed to waterproof tents.

The other route for potential ingress of water is the fuel tank breather tube on
top of the fuselage behind the cockpit and, for that matter, the fuel tank
filler
cap if its O-ring seal isn't good and situated on top of the Classic fuselage.
Therefore if parking outside I wrap and tie something like a surgical glove
over both breather tubes. Thus far I haven't failed to notice and remove
the glove before flight.

Read this topic online here: