RE: Europa-List: ADS-B GPS / WAAS antenna install

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ADS-B GPS / WAAS antenna install
From: Bill <europa10@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 18:15:57

Ron,

Normally a GPS antenna does not need a ground plane.   It's part of the
antenna.   I'm guessing they are calling it a ground plane when it's just
shielding RF from the transponder or com radio.  I installed the EchoUAT in
my plane which uses a GPS with integral antenna.  I just mounted it on a
piece of aluminum the width of the GPS and bent in an L shape and bolted to
the top of the back bulkhead.  I'm getting a good GPS signal in my plane in
the basement.....

Bill Henderson
N51EU
Europa Monowheel Classic