Europa-List: Lord engine suspension rubbers

Subject: Europa-List: Lord engine suspension rubbers
From: erichdtrombley@juno.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 10:47:15
Hello Jonathan,

I just recently switched from the MT04 to the Lord J3608-1.  Aware of the QC
issues with the MT04 (which I understand have since been resolved), I
elected to install the Lord mounts after reading the archived posts on the
topic.

I can confirm the Lord mounts are much softer than the MT04s.  Also, new
spacers are required as the bore of the Lord mount is larger.  I machined
the new spacers such that they were the same length of the Europa supplied
ones.  Quite a bit of shimming was required to raise the engine back to its
original location and I found there was significant movement of the engine
during a "botched start."  In hind sight I believe the spacers should be
shortened a bit in order to provide more preload on the mounts, which should
result in less shimming and engine movement.

I use the term "botched start" to describe an unsuccessful start of a
warm/hot engine.  Typically the engine is still warm from previous flight,
say returning to the airport after flying in for lunch.  Using the normal
starting procedure (without choke) the engine fires but not quite on all
cylinders, it seems.   There is this jerky motion whereby the engine seems
to stutter back and forth shaking violently.  Its rather unnerving, and you
can't seem to the stop the engine quick enough.

BTW, the engine moved so much during the "botched start" that the propeller
spinner contacted the cowl in two places.  Ouch!  In addition to the spinner
contacting the cowl, I found that the S.B. airbox to carb rubber connecting
hose had come off the aft end of the carb and the airbox had slid partly off
the hose from the turbo.  Now that's a lot of shaking!

I now use the following hot start procedure anytime other than starting a
cold soaked engine.  Fuel pumps off and throttle wide open.  As soon as the
engine starts immediately move the throttle to idle, wait until the engine
just starts to run out of fuel before turning on the fuel pump.

It seems that even a minor change can have significant unintended
consequences.  I was not successful in finding information on the internet
regarding pre-load requirements/spacer length for the Lord mounts.  If
anyone has such information I would be mighty obliged.

Regards,

Erich

N28ET Classic Mono 914