Re: Europa-List: Re: IFR certification

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: IFR certification
From: Jeff B <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 17:16:56

I am amazed at the knowledge on his list.  Thanks to all who have
contacted me concerning IFR flight.  You've managed to make it all
clear... :)

Jeff

On 6/11/2020 3:39 PM, h&amp;jeuropa wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> You don't actually certify for IFR flight.  Per the operating limitations it
must be equipped in accordance with FAR 91.205 for instrument or night flight.

> There you will learn that for IFR you must have:  Radios/Nav equipment
> suitable
for the route, gyroscopic rate of turn indcator, slip skid indicator, clock,
gyroscopic pitch & bank indicator and gyroscopic direction indicator.  In
addition,
static pitot, altimiter and encoder  certification and transponder certification
every 24 months.

> If you have a GPS navigator (GNS 430 or similar) the database must be updated
every 28 days.

> If you don't have a GPS navigator (even handheld GPS are usually certified for
enroute ifr), you can still fly ifr but you can't fly GPS approaches, you are
limited to VOR or ILS approaches.