Europa-List: Is there any reason to have a separate battery and alt swit

Subject: Europa-List: Is there any reason to have a separate battery and alt switch?
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 18:33:17
I know this might put the cat among the pigeons...

I have self powered back ups

   - dynon has its own battery
   - Back iLevil with its own battery
   - hand held radio

I have a crowbar and I believe that the rotax alt will generate a maximum
of 18 amps on a very good day.  The only things that dont have their own
backup power is trim and prop.

So would having everything wired into a single ON OFF switch present any
drawback?

This arises out of reaching out to my GPS and a sudden bump causing me to
miss the GPS and turn off the bat (which I immediately turned back on).  I
have separate bat and alt switches .(which is probably not in an case the
best arrangement I admit but leaving that argument aside for now).

Th obvious thing to do is what is recommended by Bob N in the Z16 which is
to have an OFF -  ON (BAT) - ON (BAT+ALT) switch...but Im curious.

Will
William Daniell
LONGPORT
+1 786 878 0246