Re: Europa-List: Re: Batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Batteries
From: Richard Scanlan <aspenbuild@me.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:00:17

Ron, Im going to pm you later, current at work, Richard

Sent from my iPhone

> On 27 Apr 2020, at 11:02, rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Group A bit confused after reading this thread. Is someone really using a
LiPo battery on an aircraft you fly in? I'm assuming LiPo you mean Lithium
Polymer
battery. They have one of the best energy densities around and can dump amps
like crazy if designed to do. They have a better Energy Density than Lithium
Ion. That said they are also incredibly dangerous. Far worst than Lithium Ion.
Great stuff for models and if you charge them somewhere that when they catch
fire and you have a big bag of sand in a plastic bag over them so they don't
burn down your house or whatever else they are near. It's not unheard of for
model guys to lose their car by recharging inside them.
> Anyway is someone with a Europa really flying with LiPo??
> I never heard of a LiPro, what is that?
> Earth-X batteries are LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate. It's a fairly safe
> Lithium
technology, I think Earth-X has their act together as far as making it aeroplane
friendly with their balancing, protection and shut down. They have a worst
energy density compared to Lithium Ion Batteries but safer.
> I agree that when using batteries that can dump amps and are light weight,
> just
because they can start your motor, their capacity may be very limited. Another
thing is to consider is just because a battery Mfg. lists a specification
does not mean for one thing that it's true and another if they give you a
capacity
when discharge at 1/20thC, in other words whatever capacity the battery is
you discharge it over a 20 hour period, it will not be the same as draining
the battery over an hour or two. Same goes for 1/10C.  If you are relying on the
battery to provide power in the event of a charging failure, you really must
do an actual test. Figures don't lie, but liars sure do figure! Ron Parigoris