Europa-List: Re: Batteries

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Batteries
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 08:42:29

We have been using a EarthX lithium battery (ETX 680C) for several years.  I
wrote
an article for the Europa Flyer (EF82) concerning it.  We load test it each
inspection and it will maintain rated voltage with a load of 10 amps for over
an hour.  One feature of lithium batteries is that the voltage does not decay
as the battery discharges.  It stays pretty constant but then falls off quickly.

We replaced the Ducatti regulator with one Jim built.  A RV12 owner and
electrical
engineer who researched many Ducatti failures developed this replacement.
It is essentially a clone of the Ducatti but with high quality components and
much larger heat sinks.   Documentation and PC boards are available and the cost
is roughly $70.

B and C Aero now has a replacement for the Ducatti called AVC-1.  The link to
the
specifications is
https://bandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AVC1_Technical_Manual_RevIR_3-11-20.pdf
While not listed on their website yet, I believe the cost is $275.

We have always had our battery located on top of the foot well, even when we had
a lead acid battery.  We really wanted to avoid long, heavy cable runs.  There
are some loading situations where the CG is too far forward but we just use
a couple 1 gallon containers filled with water located in the rear for those
flights.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: