Europa-List: Europa Classic Wing and Fuse Filler.

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Classic Wing and Fuse Filler.
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:52:35
Hello all,
I=99ve been furloughed from my flying job and now have a fair bit
of time on my hands to get on with my project. My fuselage is the next
major job, to mate the halves, but since I need a small army to help me
and we have Covid-19 lockdown restrictions, no friends around, I am
looking for other projects. Filling and sanding the wings sounds like a
great Covid goal, however I have been advised to start with the
tailplanes, a good idea. I do recall though that the fuselage to
tailplane moulding is offset somewhat one one side, requiring a buildup
and was wondering how other people have addressed this problem? I am
then going to launch into the Smooth Prime system I think, just needing
to read more on the system but the link below doesn=99t lead to
their site anymore.I=99ll keep trying to find it. Would
people recommend SuperFill as the easiest filler to use, or is there
other sandable alternatives?
Thanks.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

> On 22 Feb 2012, at 4:48 am, Steven Pitt <steven.pitt2@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> John et al,
> I did my trigear in Smooth Prime for all the positives that have
already been stated. I then had the aircraft professionally painted
(rather than by me) and after 5 years I am still very happy with the
results. However one other UK builder has not had such a good result
with the same Smooth Prime and same painter although it is being
rectified in good order.
> I was always told that damp was the main problem with the Poly Fiber
system ie it has to be absolutely dry before top coating and I know that
mine went into a newly built oven on a low heat after having 'cured' in
my garage for a couple of years after I painted the primer on.
> I was interested to hear that the recommendation is now to seal with
an epoxy primer and I can see the logic but who does it - the builder or
the painter and does the primer also need sanding down.
> At the end of the day you pays your money and ........
> As I said I was delighted with my aircraft finish and would recommend
Smooth Prime again with the caveat.