RE: Europa-List: Rain ingress

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Rain ingress
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 19:49:43

Hi! Graeme Bird/Martin Coffin/ all

When I built G-PTAG I anticipated this issue and used no vertical screws on
the firewall area. But I used 4 number taper pins made from redundant door
tapers and sockets appropriately fiberglassed under the upper cowl to engage
on the taper pins. Whilst the vertical sides of the lower cowl were
countersunk  philips screws into rivenuts AND a regular COATING OF the
threads with Hilomar keeps water out or to a minimum. The rest of the cowl
horizontal connectors were Southco where water egress doesn't matter.
However the door tops were always a problem in a downpour resulting in the
floor getting flooded but appropriate positioned 1/8" drain holes took care
of that!  When left out in rain I always taped up the draught vents and in
particular similarly taped completely over the fuel filler and locks. You do
need to remove the ALL THE tape before flight though or you will steam up
before you take off !!!!. Of course G-PTAG was a trike therefore stood on
the ground horizontal so a mono will be bound to flood over the door rubbers
into the baggage bay so you would probably need to use a pipe from the door
rebate at the aft side of the door slot or perhaps two .....one either side.
Incidentally for simplicity of fitting all horizontal screws including
Southco were spade/chisel screw driver and vertical screws were the Phillips
driven.
( hope you are noting this Martin Coffin !?)

Regards to ALL
Bob Harrison.