Europa-List: Aileron Quick Connectalignment of bolts

Subject: Europa-List: Aileron Quick Connectalignment of bolts
From: rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 22:34:06

The manual was followed on our XS Mono build and the Aileron Quick Connect bolts
didn't line up perfect. We have wing rigging down to a science and figured after
2 riggings trying to file holes to allow a perfect match, that we didn't
need anymore practice rigging. The factory spar holes were filled with
Aeropoxy/Flox.
I fabricated 3 tubes. Instead of using a .250" drill bit, I used a 6.3mm
Bit that drilled a ID hole which was .248" ID, a real nice fit to the already
bonded in AN bolt on the fuse with a .3125" OD. I then fabricated a tube that
slid over the .3125" OD and made another insert with a .248" ID. It probably
took me longer to write this than to make them. We rigged wings, bonded the
tube to the spars with JB Weld KWIK, removed wings and put on a little Bondo and
drilled the spars. The fit on the spar of the bolts required a light tapping
in place. We rigged wings and the bolts were aligned perfectly. We just Reduxed
the bolts in place on the trailer. Tonight we JB KWIK Welded shims in place
and all is good. The supplied shim was ~ .040" in thickness. We needed .050"
and .055". As per Buds suggestion we used clay to get dimension. JB KWIK Weld
was the solution and we didn't have to let plane sit overnight curing, just let
sit bout 20 minutes, derig and the JB is leather-like and allowed for EZ
cleaning
of oozement. We did one wing at a time. Ron P.

Read this topic online here: