RE: Europa-List: Re: brake locked

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: brake locked
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 13:54:13
Sorry,

In Europe you are not used to the 1860s Western horse drawn wagon of our co
wboys and indian TV shows.  It had a very simple full proof brake.  A lever
 operated by hand (and foot as it required heavy pressure) to move a fricti
on block against the wheel.  Not efficient, heavy, but with much manual str
ength, worked somewhat effectively.

My sarcastic humor gets me in trouble. Sorry.

I have no intension of changing my brakes.  I have Matco cylinders and park
ing brake.  Works OK.

Heating of the trigear brake is a real problem.  On a long taxi with a stro
ng crosswind, your brakes will get hot enough to melt the plastic brake lin
es, cause Dot3 brake fluid to boil, liquify the rubber seal in the caliper
and inject air into your system from the boiling.

Without nose gear steering or a slightly stiff nose friction plate, the bra
kes are your only steering.

Heat shields on the disk, a slightly stiff nose friction plate, help but th
is is a common problem for the castering nose gear aircraft.  Wheel pants i
nsulate the wheel and tire area from being able to radiate the disk heat aw
ay.  Many certified aircraft fly with no wheel pants as a result of this ma
intenance problem.  The SR22 added NACA ducts to their pant to cool their m
ains during taxi, others just use pants that only cover half the wheel.  Th
ey look like dress pants that are too short.  These high water pants are go
od mud flaps to keep the wing clean from dirt, but aerodynamically they are
 worthless as they add weight and do not improve performance.  These high p
ants and ducts help dissipate heat to the atmosphere though.

I apologize I never did a paper on my disk heat protection (heat shields) I
 had to do for some of my clients with heavy aircraft, and long taxi routes
.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window