Europa-List: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 16:36:10

Olivier's answer of 80ml per 50 hours seems amazing. Should that be 800ml? Such
a low figure is what I would expect from the 912UL 80hp. But perhaps the engine
is quite new?

My engine has around 450 hours and doesn't leak oil. The spark plugs always look
dry with a light brown to white colour on the insulators. The exhaust pipe shows
a grey colour inside with no hint of oiliness. Oil pressure is very good
and oil temperature in the cruise is up around 90C.

The exhaust outlet pipe gases leave a slight light brown stain along the lower
left side of the fuselage, stretching along under and a little to the rear of
the left wing. This stain is easy to wipe off every 10 hours or so, using a rag
dampened with a little petrol. Very little oil, maybe 30ml collects in the tank
breather tube catch pot between oil changes.

In other words I can't see or understand where the oil is going. Up to 1 litre
per 50 flying hours may seem excessive to some of you but as stated already,
others
seem to think that it's normal enough. 1 litre is almost exactly the same
as I US quart.

Read this topic online here: