Re: Europa-List: Mono ground handling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono ground handling
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 21:04:23

Fred, For me the important thing is that your c of g should allow any
realistic loading without putting the c of g out of limits, that is with
one v light pilot and full fuel and luggage and also heavy pilots and
little fuel and luggage. That requires a fairly forward c of g, which
for me worked out at 58.83". I believe but have no proof that a forward
c of g will also help ground stability by minimising the tendency for
the tail to keep swinging outwards once a turn is started. I achieved my
'ideal' c of g by adding 3 lbs of lead bolted in front of the stern
post.

Best of luck, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2019-06-08 19:00, Fred Klein wrote:

> Mono Gents,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations regarding location of C of G and its affect on
ground handling, particularly during landing roll out on a hard surface runway
in the hands of an experienced taildragger pilot, soon to become a newbie
mono-driver.

> I'm fully aware of the content of Section 6 - Weight and Balance, of the
> Owner's
manual...including, of course, the recommendation for the restricted C of
G envelope for first flight.

> My principal question is: Within that restricted envelope, what has been
> learned
about whether the optimum C of G location would favor the forward limit...?...or
the aft limit...?...

> Comments most appreciated,
>
> Fred

Links: