Europa-List: Re: Repairing a flat on a Monowheel

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Repairing a flat on a Monowheel
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 05:15:19

Hi Ron,

For the many years while my aircraft was a mono, I always carried a "jacking
piece"
which I'd had welded up from plate. It had 4 holes in the face which was
secured to the lower face of the swinging arm; 2 holes were just the right size
for the 2 lower bolts (having first been removed from the arm) to be bolted
back through the arm and retraction mechanism, while the other 2 holes were
large
enough the allow the upper 2 bolt heads to be accommodated without being
removed.

This design of mine was done before I became aware of other mono owners who'd
done
similar but even better designs, including one made from plywood. It should
be possible to find reference to those designs somewhere in this forum, I hope.

Also a very good idea is to arrange your brake caliper assembly not to hang
straight
down towards the ground, in case of a flat tyre whose sidewall would get
pinched between the bottom of the caliper and the runway, thereby making it more
likely that the aircraft might nose over.

Read this topic online here: