Re: Europa-List: Europa accident

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa accident
From: D McFadyean <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 15:57:10
Fred,

Please send details!

 Including if you have them the results of any load testing, which is curre
ntly (?) the 'sticking point' with LAA in the UK. Not that the load tests w
ould be difficult; just need doing.

BTW up to 40g momentarily has been shown to be survivable, not that the geo
metry of the modification would itself take anywhere near that directly.

Rgds.,

Duncan McF.

> On 24 April 2019 at 20:38 Fred Klein <freddythek10@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Noting that compressive spinal injuries can result from the geometry
of the shoulder straps and seat back in the Europa in the event of an accid
ent or even just a hard landing, I fabbed these hinged risers which elimina
te the downward component of the resultant forces. Attached to the shoulder
 harness embedment, the riser was tested with a hydraulic press by applying
 1500# (10 G=99s, assuming 150# upper body weight) force forward acro
ss the slot which captures the straps.

>     In the down position, they permit normal entry and exiting; when you
=99re seated and slip into the shoulder straps, the straps raise the
riser to the upright position=9Dworks a treat=9D.

>     Made from scraps of 1/8=9D plywood, 1/8=9D Lastafoam, and
 BID, they weigh about a pound a piecehappy to share details upon
request.