Re: Europa-List: Europa accident

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa accident
From: Richard Churchill-Coleman <richard.churchillcoleman@sky.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 21:06:02

Hi Fred

By coincidence, I was just trying yesterday to remember who had created that mod
- Id be very grateful if you could supply some details as I am about to move
on to the seats and Im tall enough to worry about downward forces from the
seatbelts!

Kind regards
Richard C-C

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 Apr 2019, at 20:38, Fred Klein <freddythek10@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Noting that compressive spinal injuries can result from the geometry of the
> shoulder
straps and seat back in the Europa in the event of an accident or even
just a hard landing, I fabbed these hinged risers which eliminate the downward
component of the resultant forces. Attached to the shoulder harness embedment,
the riser was tested with a hydraulic press by applying 1500# (10 Gs, assuming
150# upper body weight) force forward across the slot which captures the straps.

> In the down position, they permit normal entry and exiting; when youre seated
and slip into the shoulder straps, the straps raise the riser to the upright
positionworks a treat.

> Made from scraps of 1/8 plywood, 1/8 Lastafoam, and BID, they weigh about a
> pound
a piecehappy to share details upon request.