Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 2 Msgs - 12/22/18

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 2 Msgs - 12/22/18
From: Richard Scanlan <aspenbuild@me.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 18:55:59
I often get comments about being 6=995=99=99 and
fitting into a Europa, but with the high top it=99s fine and tour
in it a lot round the Iberia peninsula, probably the tallest Europa
pilot in the fleet!

Richard Scanlan
G-CEIW

<Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu
<mailto:Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>> wrote:

>> I am 6 foot (and shrinking) but I find the hi-top to be a really good
idea - besides the extra room (I also did the extra width kit), it feels
much roomier. My Europa is the same interior width as the Mooney I fly,
but feels much more roomy. My wife also prefers flying in the Europa
because of the room. It is also faster than the regular Europa - Bud
Yerly, who has built numerous 912S powered Europa's says the same thing
- mine is the fastest 912S he has flown. Flat out at a 1000 feet I get
137 knots. I have heard similar reports from other high tops. Doesn't
make sense as cross section is larger, but aeronautics is a black art.
When I am in a regular Europa I feel like I am flying a 1957 Porsche
Speedster with the top up. The room may be there, but I am always
bending my neck to see out the windshield. The extra 2.5 inches or so is
really worth while.

>> On the cracked frames - didn't we glue in  reinforcement tubes inside
the frame during the build? I remember doing so but not sure if it was
the top or bottom arms. I don't have a manual handy - has anyone else
noticed that the weight of all the notebooks and auxiliary material
almost equals the dry weight of the Europa?

<mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com>
<owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com