Re: Europa-List: Re: Old / new tailwheel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Old / new tailwheel
From: Ruedi Vogel <r.vogel@ggs.ch>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:00:33
Hi

Many thanks to Graham, Barry, Jonathan and Andreas for the good advises!

Now I have decided to rid the old tail wheel. I will keep the old
wheel bearing block with a modified steering arm. That's the way I can use
the push road and the cables without modification. Is a bit heavier as the
solution according to Mode 77. But I have had 3.7kg lead in the back as W/B
compensation before.

Best regards

Ruedi Vogel, HB-YJF

Am 22.10.2018 um 16:41 schrieb Gaham Singleton:

> Hi Ruedi
> One more thing, Dont get rid of the pushrod that moves the rudder. Connecting
the rudder cables directly to the rudder puts too much load on the rudder hinges
> And the flange. Europa did take over my mod for this, the tailwheel is driven
by cables from a bracket bolted to the bulkhead.
> It is possible to use the existing crank driving the old Classic tailwheel but
using the mod will save weight.
> Graham
>
>> On 22 Oct 2018, at 13:07, tennant <barrington.tennant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Ruedi,
>>
>> Get rid of the old tail wheel. I did about 100 hrs on it and was scared of
>> it.
The later wheel is much better. I find the spring action perfect on take off
as there is nearly no transition from ground to air.
>> As to landing, I am told by passengers that I land with the tail wheel first,
I never notice because I am concentrating on keeping it straight. If you do
that there is no bounce!

--

Ruedi Vogel
Wiesenweg 6