Re: Europa-List: Re: Mono tail wheel spring mounting bolt break

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Mono tail wheel spring mounting bolt break
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 17:46:44
Awesome solution. Thx!

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 4:45 PM, Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com> wrot
e:

> Hi Barry,
>
> Glad to hear you didn't sustain any damage to your plane.  Typical of othe
r Mono folks I too bent my tail wheel bolt which led me to creating the foll
owing mod I performed over 10 years ago.  Never had a problem since.  The or
iginal design relies on the AN5-21A bolt to counter the torsional load of th
e tail spring which isn't ideal as you can attest too.  I created a simple m
od that takes the torsional load from the tail spring and transfers it to th
e XTW15 steel support plate rather than the AN5 bolt in bending.  I installe
d an aluminum block with a channel milled down the middle (the width and hei
ght of the mounting end of the tail spring) with a through hole in the cente
r to pass the AN5 bolt.  As shown in the attached drawing the block captivat
es the end of the tail spring and transfers the load as described above.  Th
e AN5 bolt is now in double shear instead of single shear and bending.  A lo
nger bolt is required to replace the existing AN5-21A which is too short to p
ass through the block.  That's it. And it works a treat.  You may not even r
equire approval of the mod as it could be considered a really thick washer o
f sorts. :)  The mod also prevents the through hole in the bottom of the fus
elage in which the AN5 bolt passes from wallowing out.

> Also, regarding bonding of the tail spring to the rear stern post I deviat
ed slightly from the instructions.  When I originally installed the tail spr
ing I was giving consideration to serviceability and realized if the spring w
ere bonded to the stern post I would need to deal with the Redux.  Realizing
 the benefit of having the additional bearing surface of the Redux I install
ed the tail spring per the manual, however, I applied a release to the tail s
pring such that the Redux wouldn't adhere.  This allows the tail spring to b
e easily removed without compromising the design.