Europa-List: Re: Fuel tank issues

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel tank issues
From: crouto <crouton@well.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 07:49:03

As the posesser of a very old tank I have been following this with interest.
The embrittlement problems seem to be yet another consequence of the addition of
alcohol to motor fuels.  The alcohol leaches out the plasticisers and over time
the inflexible plastic cracks along stress lines.
I go to great lengths to totally avoid alcohol containing fuels.  100LL is
nearly
always available and with the use of lead scavenging additives avoids the most
serious consequences of leaded fuel use.  This is preferable to the leaching
effects of alcohols.
I am fortunate to spend the summer in Nova Scotia, Canada where high test road
fuel is alcohol free.

Avoid alcohol.  Tank damage is not the only negative consequence.

Creighton Smith  A 009 (a really old fuel tank)  Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPad