Europa-List: Re: Roland Schmit Europa. Fuel Tank Debacle.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Roland Schmit Europa. Fuel Tank Debacle.
From: Dave Disney <davedisney@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 13:42:33

My tank developed a split but I didnt want to go through the hassle of fitting
a new tank, so I looked at alternative ways of overcoming the problem. In the
end I repaired the tank in situ, the repair has held up for the last two years
so Im glad I didnt rip out the original tank.
Watch this video to understand the process to repair the tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqu3NVqFNCU

For access I cut a hole between the headrests in the cockpit module, then cut a
smaller hole in the top of the fuel tank below (having drained it first), this
allowed me to see inside the tank & I could see the crack for the first time.
I figured I had nothing to lose doing this because it would be an easy repair
if I ended up cutting off the top of the headrests to remove the tank before
fitting a new one as per Buds instructions.

There are some pictures (hopefully).

I followed the process in the video above. It was a bit awkward working through
the cut-out in the tank top but it was doable. I had to buy a small heat gun
for the welding process so bought one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFxN65eJWOo The panel I cut out of the top of
the tank was used as welding filler for the repair.

I developed a repair scheme that was approved by our LAA in the UK. I made up a
removable cover for the cut out in the cockpit module between the headrests
which
was bonded on and made a nut-ring and cover out of aluminium with a gasket
to seal the top of the fuel tank.

I now drain and clean the inside of tank every annual inspection to see how the
repair is doing and all seems good so far.

Read this topic online here:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/photo_1_compressed_162.jpg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/photo_5_203.jpg