Re: Europa-List: Roland Schmit Europa. Fuel Tank Debacle.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Roland Schmit Europa. Fuel Tank Debacle.
From: Mike Christine Duane <DuaneFamly@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 06:59:29
Good day Bob, my tank is not leaking.....yet. Just a very pronounced bulge o
n the front wall interfering with the Aileron Cross Rod. While the vent is c
lear, Living in Las Vegas in the summer is like flying in a convection oven.
 Has been averaging about 110=99 (42=99) temperature wise these p
ast few weeks and will stay like that for a few more. I am going to try heat
ing up the empty tank and then some reverse pressure in the form of an expan
ding (over a few days) brace.
As for your tank, best wishes in that the =9Cscraping=9D is succ
essful.
Mike Duane
N377EA
Europe XS Conventional Gear

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 5, 2018, at 4:13 AM, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net> wrote:
>
> Hi! Roland,
> Just picked up your leaking tank Messages from my Junk List and tried to t
ransfer them to my Inbox to send you my commiserations, but they have vanish
ed into cyber space!
> Sad to hear your message about your Europa tank.
> If your trailer was outside in the current heat and not white reflective t
he temps inside would be baking ?  Also was the vent clear to allow expansio
n inside the closed off fuel system ? sometimes with my aluminium long range
 system I have been known to leave its own vent closed and it contains a ver
y high pressure due to weather expansion, so it is a factor , but alas too l
ate for your incident any way. Whilst it is a major job to replace the exist
ing tank it has been done in the past  so I wouldn=99t jump into the a
luminium route  before major considerations of availability etc. One thing i
s certain and that is provided it is all done in a very controlled way the r
esin issue will cure quickly but you must do it to the book since the cross m
ember is a major structural item .
> Sad to hear your message though .......=9Dbest made plans of mice an
d men=9D comes to mind.
> Regards
> Bob Harrison  G-PTAG
> PS look on the bright side .........my =9Ctank=9D (bladder) ha
s cancer back after 5 years and I go for what I hope is a scrape out on 23rd
 August !