Re: Europa-List: Mono brake binding

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono brake binding
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 10:30:28

Martin, there may not be one solution. Here are a number of suggestions from my
experience in motor trade as well as my own Europa.

Cleanliness of the parts is the first issue. Not only the slave cylinder but the
slider of the floating calliper. Make sure mechanically the calliper is
lubricated,
I use copper grease, and the calliper is free to slide. Too much grease
and it will contaminate the
pads so be careful.

I had a similar issue with my trig-gear and found two problems.

Overfilling of the master cylinder to the top of the filler hole so that on
screwing
in the filler plug it exerted a small amount of pressure on the fluid, there
is no reservoir like car systems to relieve excess pressure.

After filling and putting the cover plate back on the brake leavers were forced
back by a few millimetre again putting pressure in the cylinders.

It may be worn disks and the resulting ridges is the source of the binding.

Good luck.

Alan

G-OBJT

Sent from my iPad

> On 28 Apr 2018, at 22:56, martinburns <martin_burns@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

> The brake slave piston on our Mono does not retract when the brake lever is
> released.
This results in the brake constantly dragging.
> After pushing the piston back with a G clamp it is fine for a short while and
then jams again.  I have dismantled the cylinder, fitted a new O ring and
cleaned
up the piston and cylinder, but the condition eventually recurs.