Re: Europa-List: Re: International Fly-In, Gap-Tallard, France, June

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: International Fly-In, Gap-Tallard, France, June
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 22:50:11
9-10, 2018

Gilles, Yes perhaps I did give the wrong ompression. I should have said
that the Tower is closed over lunchtime. This is generally a bit
daunting for us foreigners. We can mostly make approximate position
calls in French but few of us are sufficiently fluent to cope if we get
an answer in French and to work out whether someone is telling us to go
away or just chatting or whatever, and may have doubts as to whether
that airfield will let you land without ATC, especially if it is your
customs airfield, so my recommendation is to get there whilst ATC is
working and enjoy a lunch! David

On 2018-04-16 16:22, GTH wrote:

> Le 13/04/2018  17:51, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk a crit :
>
>> _Troyes is highly reccommended. [...]Beware, like many French A/Fs it closes
at lunchtime._
> Hi David and all,
>
> Feeling compelled to jump in.
> Would you care to elaborate about the above statement ?
> As a French pilot, I am not aware of _any _French airfield closing to VFR
> during
daytime.
> Or maybe you were just talking about ATC or AFIS published hours or IFR
> arrivals,
though that never prevents incoming or departing VFR traffic ?

> To sum it up, French airfields are accessible to VFR at any time between SR-30
min and SS+30min.

> One notice, though : at Troyes at no-AFIS hours, you must use French only on
the radio, like on most French airfields.

> https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dvd/eAIP_29_MAR_2018/Atlas-VAC/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/AD-2.LFQB.pdf
>  [1]
>
> --
> Best regards,