Europa-List: Re: Brass gauze fuel filter elements?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Brass gauze fuel filter elements?
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 03:53:52

Clive,

I understand what you are saying - but we don't have transparent, inspectable
oil
filters.  The reason - because we know the design of the filter is good and
we don't have to worry about it (too much).

Same strategy with the fuel filters.  Following the stoppage (recovered in the
air by switching quickly to the reserve line, l had actually read the AAIB
report
of the fatal Europa accident the night before), l literally flew from field
to field for 12 months waiting for it to stop.  I not only looked at but
unscrewed
and checked for green slime every flight. A necessary precaution due to
the bad design.

Now l pull the Andair filters apart annually.  Most importantly l no longer
worry
about fuel starvation due to blocked filters.  Giving me capacity to worry
about all the other stuff!!

If you get to the same state with (fragile) glass filter bodies and super-duper
stainless gauze then the jobs a good'un.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: