Re: Europa-List: Garmin GMU11?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Garmin GMU11?
From: Gert Dalgaard Sørensen <stabelvej9@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 10:55:27
Tank you very much for info.
Regards Gert

> Den 3. mar. 2018 kl. 10.40 skrev davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk:
>

> Gert, I mean that it seems to have a self testing system. It seems to
analyse the inputs from each of the attached units and puts up messages
if it is not happy. It also does its own independent calibration of the
magnetometer. I have always had to have someone outside the plane lining
it up on different headings with a specially accurate compass to
calibrate  the plane's compass or magnetometer, but the G5/ GMU
calibration just requires you to go to a compass square, then point the
plane roughly north. Then the G5 takes over, telling you turn slowly
right; hold it there; turn slowly right; hold it there and so on whilst
you go slowly through 360 degrees. Then it says All done. That is
probably not quite the same as saying that it can determine the magnetic
cleanliness of your positioning of the magnetometer but it certainly
seems to be critical of the nature of its inputs.

<mailto:davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>:

>>> Gert, I have installed a GMU 22 with my G5 system at top of fuselage
behind the D panel. I previously had a Blue Mountain magnetometer
(looking like the GMU11) at bottom of fuselage a foot back from D panel.
Both seem to work/have worked OK., and the G5 system appears to be very
critical of its inputs.

=?utf-8?Q?Gert_Dalgaard_S=C3=B8rensen?= <stabelvej9@gmail.com
<mailto:stabelvej9@gmail.com>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Anyone who have been experimenting with Garmins GMU11 unit?
>>> I plan to instal it in the fuselage - Garmin recommend that
installation is done in the wing.