Re: Europa-List: One for the books.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: One for the books.
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:18:21
Hi Will,

I've been chatting with Paul (its designer) last year at Osh and in subseque
nt emails, and since the regulator pressure ports are now internal to the th
rottle body, and because of the function of the regulator, Paul could not se
e why it should not work in a pressurized blow-through configuration.  There
 was another customer in Oz who was going to give it a try, but i have not h
eard of his progress.  Advantages are no carb ice, and better atomization (n
o turbo-centrifuge effects), downside higher fuel pump pressures (only relat
ive pressure is of importance - but the flip side is its also less likely to
 get any vapour-lock especially with users of mogas - not you folks, but up h
ere cannuckstan Shell premium is without bio-fuels and is used widely).

If interested, you should give Paul a call/email to get the full scoop.

Cheers and thx for blazing trails..... i may go your route when my ship is r
eady for it (and if the turbo D-motor isn't yet proven -likely)
Pete

PS- the Rotec with its integral regulator is a magnitude better product than
 the deficient  aerovee imho.

PPS- if i do go with a FI engine route, i may still use the Rotec as the thr
ottle body giving my a backup mechanical fuel supply.

> On Dec 27, 2017, at 3:45 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Pete
>
> Just following up on the rotec possibility.
>
> Rotec specifically states that the device must be placed upstream of a tur
bo.   This could be adapted to my engine in a similar fashion/configuration t
o the aerovee turbo installation (http://www.aeroconversions.com/products/ae
rovee/turbo.html) ie it would draw through the turbo into the airbox and the
nce to the manifold/cylinders.     There would therefore be no issue of airb
ox/fuel pressure.

> It seems that there are advantages
> No airbox pressure/fuel pressure issue,
> Simpler fuel system one cable no balancing, single fuel feed from fuel pre
ssure regulator.
> lighter  (throttle body, turbo, manifold).
> Possibly more power
> possibility of leaning in Cruise.
> The disadvantages
> however there is the issue of carb ice when the throttle body is before th
e turbo which is something I dont have to contend with as it is.
> Do you know anything about this option?
>
> thanks Will
>

> William Daniell
> LONGPORT
> +57 310 295 0744
>
>> On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>> Sounds like a very nice implementation! Great job you guys!
>>
>> At what level of boost do you start running into issues (preignition/over
heating/twisted crank etc)?

>> I wonder if the very nicely executed rotec sprayer, with its built in int
ernal regulator (should work beautifully in a blow-through configuration as l
ong as the supply fuel pressure is greater than the airbox press.).

>> https://www.rotecaerosport.com/tbi
>>
>> Very high quality machined piece, with some nice features, better atomiza
tion, much simpler than those horrible bings etc.

>> Cheers!
>> Pete
>>

>>> On Dec 25, 2017, at 8:46 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.co
m> wrote:

>>> Pete,
>>>
>>> this is a colombian adaptation for a 80hp 912.  The Colombians claim tha
t they turbo'd the 912 before rotax which might be true given the topography
.   Truth is wierder than fiction in Colombia.  Or it might not.

>>> My guy makes the exhaust system.  It has a small truck turbo (doesnt rea
lly matter which) controlled by a vernier.  A garret might be better but it w
orks fine as it it.  My Savannah has a mitsuibishi turbo and my Europa has a
n IVECO turbo.  He also made the airbox and put in the oil supply and scaven
ge for the turbo.  You need a 914 fuel regulator.

>>> The turbo is in the same place as the 914 turbo.
>>>
>>> You need to fit the pressure normalizing tubes between the airbox and th
e carbs and fit bigger main jets so it runs cooler.  You need to tighten the
 clamps on the carb rubber too.   You need nitrile gaskets for the carb bowl
s.   There's some fun stuff in it too.  There is a ball valve on the oil inl
et to the turbo which which stops the oil leaking out through the turbo when
 the engine is shut down.  This ball valve is always held in place with the b
all point pen spring.

>>> The system uses the mechanical fuel pump from the 912 and an electric pu
mp which means that if you have an electrical failure the engine doesnt stop
.    My engine will run at about 28" without the electric pump.

>>> And that's about it.  The net result is a turbo normalized 912 for less t
han USD25k.  I run mine at 33" unless I have a heavy nephew on board.  Yeste
rday we took off at 35".

>>> Its pretty simple and the manual wastegate doesn't really complicate thi
ngs.  You can control power with the wastegate or the throttle.  I am comfor
table with this because I have been flying with one for 10 years now in my S
avannah.  And in the worst case with no turbo and no electrical system you s
till have a 912.    You can see photos at  https://sites.google.com/site/eur
opaconstructionwd/

>>> Will

Navigator?Europa-List