RE: Europa-List: Re: Cooling a Mono Classic

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Cooling a Mono Classic
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 11:46:23

Hi Kyle,
I am not quite sure of your current configuration. Please confirm engine ie
912UL or ULS. From your photos you seem to be Classic Mono with I think a
912UL.
In 1996 when I first flew my Classic Mono with Rotax 912UL (80 hp)we,
together with a number of other builders, had cooling issues such as you
mention.
The fix we all discovered in those days was to provide additional exit air
---From the cowlings. In essence all we did was to fit aprox 1" spacers between
the bottom of the lower cowling and the fuselage.  This enabled greater exit
air from cowling and immediately gave 10 degrees centigrade reduction in
both oil and water temps.
This is just an idea that may help you but on the other hand you may already
have tried this.
Pete Jeffers