RE: Europa-List: Full trigear speed kit vs hinge fairings only

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Full trigear speed kit vs hinge fairings only
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:48:47
Jonathan,

I have had a little better performance gain with proper attention to detail
 around the gear, engine cowl ducting, and of course the flap brackets.

You will find that it takes as long to do a proper speed kit and transition
s as it does to fill and sand the entire fuselage.  There is a lot of detai
l making speed kit transitions properly, making them light, properly secure
d, looking good, easy open to do periodic maintenance, and finally, getting
 some speed out of it.

I got 17 Knots at max continuous and 10 overall at low cruise.  So you are
about right in your estimates.

I=92ve attached my previous comments and techniques for ways to do transiti
ons.  I do not recommend tape and 5 minute glues to fasten a gear speed kit
.   Without proper gear leg support and the transitions, the speed gains ar
e less than inspiring.

As for the wing covers.  I prefer a fully enclosed wing speed cover, but al
as, you have to take even more time to make it easily and quickly removable
 to allow for inspection and maintenance.  The Europa style wing covers are
 OK as is.

As for putting them in the kit as standard, most manufacturers make this an
 option as the old time Cessna owners all know that wheel pants are only mu
d flaps, so why bother.  Cirrus and other fixed gear speed freaks all know
that is not true.

Attached are some things I=92ve written on speed kit installation and techn
iques for my customers installations.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window