RE: Europa-List: Ammeter spike

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Ammeter spike
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:19:12
Will,
Your assumptions were right and the standard Rotax, Europa, Bob Knuckles  R
otax powered electrical systems are all wired basically the same.  The devi
l is sometimes in the details.

As the Capacitor discharges, it has to dump its charge somewhere.  Like man
y others, I put a grain of wheat incandescent bulb in my alternator warning
 light circuit.  This allows a slow path to ground for the capacitor discha
rge.  (Evident with a slowly dimming alternator light after engine shut dow
n.)  Also, the incandescent warning light is required to properly indicate
an alternator (stator) output failure in these old style regulator units.
Of course, in these type systems, if the regulator fails, you get no warnin
g from the idiot light.

Pulling the CB on the circuit and getting anything but a clean power shutdo
wn may indicate your ammeter to  shunt or your Dynon indicating system is n
ot getting a clean break with the CB.  If wired per the Europa manual, the
Ducati regulator does not get a CB for the control or alternator field (as
in an internal regulator) as a standard belt driven alternator would.

Email me off line with how your actual setup is, as I have found Dynon not
to always discloses some of their idiosyncrasies with tach, amps, aux power
, etc.   I have found in many panels, how the alternator to shunt is set up
 will affect how sudden power changes are read.  I am interested as my next
 project may have a Dynon Skyview, and my research on pro=92s and con=92s i
s on going.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window