Re: Europa-List: Nav antenna - The Answer

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Nav antenna - The Answer
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:52:29
Interesting. The only antennae I have come across with low dc resistance is a
n end fed dipole or a folded dipole where for balancing the impedance a coil
 is used.

Looking at the picture in Mendelssohn catalogue for the Corment VOR Antenna I
 would not have expected any balancing coils to be used.

Live and learn, sorry if I misled you.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

> On 23 Oct 2017, at 15:35, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:
>
> Just in case anyone else gets confused by this question, I discover that b
oth my Comant nav antenna and a brand new certified one have a resistance fr
om core to sheath (or indeed measured simply between the two metal limbs of t
he antenna) of just 0.4 ohms, quite distinct from Com antennae which have ve
ry high resistance. It had struck me that a short in the connectors or the c
oaxial cabling might be what is troubling the nav bit of my GNC255 but it is
 not so - clearly the two sections of the nav dipole are connected by some l
ow resistance structure.

> Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ
>

>> On 2017-10-22 18:39, Alan Burrill wrote:
>>
>> The are horizontal dipoles and should effectively be open circuit.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On 22 Oct 2017, at 18:01, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a nav antenna (of VOR/Glide slope/Loc variety) convenie
ntly to hand so that they could measure the resistance across the pin to she
ath, or maybe is clever enough to know what it should be?  Am pursuing a gli
tch and find that my nav antenna has a very low resistance unlike Com & Tran
sistor antennae.